Thursday, June 2, 2011

Beginnings

It was my intention to begin the basic construction of this blog today, however the tides decided it was time to turn and make plans of their own. Now it isn't in my nature to report on bad news, however I do feel it's necessary to include the information about the suicide that took place on Guerneville's Pedestrian Bridge today. You can read my personal blog for my personal insights on the event, as well as at the Press Democrat for official details. And lastly, my heart and the heart of the town go out to the young man's family and friends who are experiencing this great loss.

Now while there are things that come to an end almost simultaneously there are things that begin. Moments after this young man took the leap off the bridge, a new life was welcomed into the world by Derrick and Minnie Sheets; many heartfelt congratulations!

New life and new creation is sprouting everyday, and today I celebrate the birth of an idea that began a few months ago. Some might be wondering, "Why a blog on Guerneville?" I've been writing the "Only in Guerneville" (formerly "What's Up in Guerneville") column for the Sonoma County Gazette (formerly the West County Gazette) for the past 18 months. I've learned through my columns for Vesta Copesakes' brilliantly put-together and brightly colored, eclectic paper, how difficult it is to cram all the goings-on of Guerneville into a mere 700 words column (even less if there's a picture). So I figured, there's SO much good, positive energy going around Guerneville (yes, let's face it, there's a fair share of bad as well), this would give not only myself a less restrictive outlet of information, but also to you, my fellow Guernevillans, to submit your articles, events, polls, etc.

And of course there needs to be some discretion with what get's placed on here. I run by the presipice of the Golden Rule (most times) and would expect that of anybody looking to contribute.
This is a rough draft of the blog's rules, and they will be subject to change as the blog starts to develop into it's own.

Rule #1: Seriously, let's be respectful. No snide or bigoted comments are allowed on the blog posts.
Rule #2: If you have an event, please make sure you've given me at LEAST One Week's notice to post it. Anything less than that is up in the air and is less likely to get posted.
Rule #3: Articles or guest post writers are welcome (you will receive your by-line for your piece), but try to make them positive in nature. This is not a forum for complaints or negative bashing of locals/businesses/etc. If you want to do that, create your OWN blog here.
Rule #4: The rules are subject to change as the blog will need to change as it get's more activity.

So, today, I launch this blog as a token of community, as a resource of information on the events and activity that Guerneville gets to experience. Check back often, as there will be daily updates.

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on this accomplishment. I'll get your most recent column up on my website (www.sonomcountygazette.com) with a link to your blog. Yes, there is more going on in Guerneville than can be covered one a month in 700 words. That's the beauty of the internet. Use print to bring people to you, and the net to keep them in touch. Keep on your path - it's a good one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for your support, Vesta! You're my guru!

    ReplyDelete